In particular, there are 3 types of melee attacks: Normal attacks, strong attacks, and throws. For each strength, the damage of each increases by 1, 1.15, and 1.2. Specifically:
- Normal attack: damage = floor(3 + level/10 + strength)
- Strong attack: damage = floor(5 + level/10 + 1.15 strength)
- Throw: damage = floor(10 + level/10 + 1.2 strength)
At min level=1 and min strength=1, melee attacks do 3, 5, or 10 damage. At max level=99 and max strength=25, melee attacks do 37, 43, or 49 damage. In Remastered, the greatest strength bonus is +9. (Fishing Spear, Clunky Mace, and Club give +5. Snoot gives +4.) Note that XP is earned per hit, so more strength will give you less XP for the same melee damage dealt.
The following are the attacks a player can perform throughout the game. Increasing your strength level will cause more damage to be dealt with these attacks.
Quick light attack
Heavy attack with spin
- To Perform: While sprinting, press the button or the button ( + or ).
- Effect: Uses the momentum from sprinting to attack (you know that you are sprinting when you see a large cloud of dust behind while walking). There is a heavy and a light version of this attack; triggers a lunge that knocks opponents back and down, causes the character to perform a somersault that launches enemies into the air, adding fall damage to the attack. This attack is especially effective against some bosses and beefies, landing 4 hits at a time intead of 1.
- Level Needed: 4
- To Perform: Press the Button 3 times, and then the button ().
- Effect: A strong combo, with the last attack using your character's element, causing massive damage. With high stats in strength and magic, the last attack can do upwards of 100 damage. The first three attacks are based on strength, while the last hit is based on magic.
- Level Needed: level 15 magic required
Mid-air hovering attack
- To Perform: After jumping into the air using the button, Press the button 4 times, followed by the button once. This and button combo can then be repeated over and over (+, ...).
- Effect: Your character will hover in the air, hacking at enemies, then slamming them to the ground. This will repeat endlessly. This is commonly referred to as "juggling".
- Level Needed: 50 (although this move can be performed with just jump and Y as early as level 1)
The following weapons grant the best Strength bonus:
- Buffalo Mace (+5)
- Butcher Knife (+5)
- Club (+5)
- Clunky Mace (+5)
- Fishing Spear (+5)
- Man Catcher (+5)
- NG Golden Sword (+5)
These Animal Orbs grant a Strength bonus: