How to Obtain
To use a sandwich, select it in the usable items menu, then press the / button. While in Beefy Mode, players can deal increased melee damage and can move specific heavy objects. The effect lasts only for 10 seconds.
Players must be beefy to:
- Move a large boulder in the Tall Grass Field that leads to Burly Bear and the Fish weapon.
- Open the gate in Lava World.
- Fight the Volcano in Lava World.
- Open the front door to the Industrial Castle.
While under the Sandwich's effect, the player can:
- Run through the spiky traps after the poison gas projectiles easily without getting knocked back in Industrial Castle.
- Windmill the Necromancer and Conehead Groom infinitely, but only on the PS3 version, where the player does not get off the ground after getting in a few hits.
- If the sandwich is used before kissing any princess except the Orange Princess, the player immediately returns to their regular form. However, the countdown timer will continue. If it reaches 0 seconds during the kiss, the player exits the kiss and can walk around until they return to the map.
- If the player kisses Tricky the Clown immediately after undergoing transformation, they will be immune to her knockback. After the effect wears off, they will be able to use Arrows, Bombs, Health Potions, Horn, Magic, Weapons, and Sandwiches, even after the "The End" screen pops up.
- To remain in this state, the player should avoid pressing the jump button.
- This item can be found in unlimited supplies during the Lava World level at the metal gate and the Volcano miniboss. Fire Demons will repeatedly spawn and drop sandwiches until the player opens the gate or kills the Volcano.
- Despite their powerful effect, Sandwiches are often considered a disadvantage; as they make the player an easy target.
- The player's shield is unaffected by the sandwich.
- This item is often called "Toast". This may be because on a low definition TV, the icon appears to be a single slice of toast instead of a whole sandwich.
- This item is often called a "Knuckle Sandwich", most likely originating from the threat: "I'm gonna give you a knuckle sandwich!".
- This item is often referred to as the "Beef Sandwich" because it makes the player beefy.
- It appeared in Fleeing The Complex as an item in solo mode where Henry Stickmin becomes beefy and knocks out 2 of the guards before reverting back to normal and getting kicked by the 3rd guard.
- This item may be a reference to the Heavy in the game Team Fortress 2. The Heavy can use the Sandvich to heal himself.
- There is also the voice line for the Heavy, "Sandvich make me strong!" The beefy effect given by the sandwich is a possible reference to this voice line.
Beefy Mode Sprites