As with other attributes, some weapons and animal orbs can increase the Magic attribute level beyond 25 points. Also, "splash attacks" can hit larger enemies and bosses multiple times because they can either sustain multiple hits before being knocked down or simply just can't be knocked down so they have to sustain all damage dealt with a splash attack, which maximizes how quickly such enemies die.
Magic is used to perform non-standard attacks. Elemental magics are specialized and more useful on some targets than others. Non-Elemental magic is general-purpose and will be equally effective on almost every type of enemy. The combos are listed below.
NOTE: Since your character will always have 1 Skill Point filled for Magic, the Skill Point or Magic Level requirement for the other combos will be listed normally plus the actual cost in game.
Types of Magic
Each elemental magic has its own special effect:
- Fire: Burns a target, inflicting steady fire damage over a short time.
- Ice: Freezes the target, immobilizing them for a short time.
- Electricity: Shocks a target, stunning them for a short time.
- Poison: Poisons a target, causing it to suffer steady poison damage over a short time.
- Note: Certain enemies are weak or strong against certain elements, or take more or less damage from certain types of elemental attacks. The use of elemental magic is usually reserved for the four starting knights (Green, Red, Blue and Orange Knights). However, a few other characters can also use elemental magic, or a hybrid of elemental and non-elemental. Cult Minions are immune to all elemental magics and take 1 damage with no effect or knockback.
Non-elemental magic is generally not resisted by enemies and has no particular strength against some of them. However, some non-elemental magic attacks have special properties, such as King being able to heal himself or Pink Knight stunlocking enemies.
Refer to the following list to see which type of magic each character is included in:
- Fire: Orange Knight, Fire Demon
- Ice: Blue Knight
- Electricity: Red Knight
- Poison: Green Knight
- Non-Elemental: Peasant, Civilian, Thief, Stove Face, Open Faced Gray Knight, Barbarian, Pink Knight, Bear, Saracen, Fencer, Industrialist, Brute, Snakey, Skeleton, Cultist, King, Killer Beekeeper, Ninja, Necromancer, Hatty Hattington
- Hybrid: Iceskimo, Alien, Blacksmith, Conehead, Royal Guard, Gray Knight
Magic-Oriented Weapons and Pets
The following grant a magic bonus (upgrade level):
- Unicorn Horn (+6), two (Original) or four (Remastered) if combined with Beholder
- Glowstick (+5)
- Snakey Mace (+5)
- NG Golden Sword (+5)
- Staff (+5)
- Black Morning Star (+6) (Original) (+1) (Remastered)
- Ninja Claw (+3)
- Dinner Fork (+3)
- Key Sword (+3)
- Thunderbolt (+3)
- Gold Sword (+4)
- Zigzag (+3)
- Emerald Sword (+2)
- According to recent times, the range plus the delay time plus the time of the Splash Attack is king in Castle Crashers and Arena. Thus, characters that fulfill this criteria, plus fulfill a major role, constitute as the best characters in the game.