Defense is one of four attributes in Castle Crashers. Defense increases health and damage resistance. For each defense, health increases by 28. Resistance increases such that damage taken (from any hit) decreases by around 1%. Specifically:
- Health = 100 + 3 (Level - 1) + 28 (Defense - 1)
- Resistance = 40.5 + 0.5 (Defense - 1)
- Damage taken = 2 Damage (1 - Resistance / 100)
- Damage before death = 100 (69 + 28 Defense + 3 Level) / (120 - Defense)
At min level=1 and min agility=1, health is 100. Resistance is 40.5. Damage before death is ~84. At max level=99 and max defense=99, health is 1066. Resistance 52.5. Damage before death is ~1122. In Remastered, the greatest defense bonus is +12. (Evil Sword gives +7. Snailburt gives +5.)
The following weapons grant the best Defense bonus:
The following Animal Orbs will grant you a Defense bonus.
- Snailburt (+5)
- Spiny (+2, Original)/(+4, Remastered)
- Chicken (+1)
- Pazzo (+2, Remastered)
- Burly Bear (+1, Remastered)
- The maximum health obtainable is 1402 (Level 99 + Maximum Defense + Evil Sword + Snailburt).
- The minimum health obtainable from Level 99 is 338 (Bare Minimum Defense + Dinner Fork or Snakey Staff or Sai)
- In the original version of Castle Crashers, there are a total of 34 Defense beneficial weapons, and in Remastered, there's 33.
- In the original version of Castle Crashers, there are a total of 13 Defense penalty weapons, and in Remastered, there's 11.
- In the original version of Castle Crashers, there are a total of 37 weapons that give/take no Defense points, and in Remastered, there's 40.
- There are a total of 5 Defense beneficial animal orbs in Castle Crashers Remastered, and 3 Defense beneficial animal orbs in Castle Crashers